I was visiting with one of my 2016 brides this past weekend and she asked me a question I hadn’t heard in a while, but seems like a completely legitimate question.
Do I/we really need to do an engagement shoot?
No you don’t.
I know, I know. I’m a photographer. From my perspective, OF COURSE, you need to do an engagement shoot. But really? In all reality? You don’t necessarily need them. It all depends on what you want your engagement/announcement/wedding adventure to be like!
Engagement pictures are something people started doing so that they have ‘nice’ pictures to accompany their engagement announcement, or use on their wedding website or at their reception…. Here are a few ways I’ve seen engagement photos used.
What do I use engagement photos for?
- Save the Dates – Save the Dates are the most common use for engagement photos. MOST couples do a postcard, but we’ve seen magnets, cards, ornaments…
- Decor at Reception – Many couples will print pictures of themselves to put on tables at the reception, which is a great way to share your relationship with your guests
- Slideshow at Reception – Another great way to share with family and friends! Your engagement pictures can be added to any slideshow(s) you do at the reception
- Interactive Wedding Ceremony – Now, I’ve never seen this one myself, but I imagine super creative couples could figure out a way to use their engagement photos during their wedding ceremony – Maybe it’s as simple as playing a slideshow while guests are being seated before the ceremony.
- Party Favors – I’ve seen party favors with pictures of the couple on the tag!
- Wedding Stationary – I have seen programs and other wedding paper goods with pictures of the couple